Welcome to Why I WAH

When I was thinking of an appropriate name for my blog, I decided on Why I WAH for the simple reason that I'm not only trying to be successful at working from home, but I want to help others do the same. It is not always easy to work from home no matter what anyone says. You have to have the drive and dedication to getting the job finished. Many times you will not have a boss breathing down your neck to finish an assignment. So, you also have to think about why you want to WAH, as well, and hold that close to give you the perseverance to work at it.


Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Get Your Geek On And Get Paid - Dorkly



I always say you should do what you love and if you love geeky things then writing for Dorkly might be right up your alley!  They accept both articles and picture galleries.  You can expect to be paid around $35 to $75 for an article and $25 to $35 for a picture gallery depending on length.  Submit your idea for an article (articles@dorkly.com) or picture gallery (galleries@dorkly.com) to their editors to see if they are interested in your pitch.  They give some awesome examples to help you come up with your own ideas for pitches.
Pros:

  • Paid to write about geeky things
  • Pitch your own ideas
  • Assistance from editors to get the article that works for them
  • Decent pay amount compared to content mill work
  • Does not mention any limits as to how often you can pitch

Cons:

  • You have to pitch (yes, this can be a stumbling block for many, including myself)
  • Idea might not be selected
  • No set schedule


I think that if this opportunity sounds like something that is right up your alley, you should give it a try.  No one likes to be rejected, but the more pitches you do, the better you will get.  Here is a tip to help you pitch: Not only should you read over the examples they have provided, but you should look over the website as a whole to get a feel for their style, content and vibe.  

Quick edit:  Did you miss my blog on brushing up on your writing skills?  Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment