Welcome to Why I WAH

When I was thinking of an appropriate name for my blog, I decided on Why I WAH for the simple reason that I'm not only trying to be successful at working from home, but I want to help others do the same. It is not always easy to work from home no matter what anyone says. You have to have the drive and dedication to getting the job finished. Many times you will not have a boss breathing down your neck to finish an assignment. So, you also have to think about why you want to WAH, as well, and hold that close to give you the perseverance to work at it.


Sunday, February 6, 2011

Introduction

Let me introduce myself. My name is Shannon, and I'm a stay at home mom. I wanted to start writing this blog to help others learn some of the things that I have over the past few years. Over three years ago I was working full time and going to an online school full time when my husband and I decided to start trying for a baby. As it came closer and closer to time to have my son I wasn't sure what I was going to do after my maternity leave. I was not making a whole lot of money and the job market in my area wasn't the best even then. When we started looking into reputable daycare centers we did the math. The amount of money I brought home minus the amount we would have to pay out to cover just the daycare cost would only leave me with about $200 a month. Plus, you had to factor in gas for getting to work and daycare, work clothing for my business casual job, and any other incidentals. It just wasn't adding up for me before my son was born. Then after I saw his little face I knew that I wasn't going to let anyone else care for my son, money issues or not.

That just left the little manner of how I was going to pay the bills that I had. Unlike most individuals I was lucky in the fact that my husband makes good money, our mortgage is low, and he covers most of the household expenses. So, I have a low amount that I have to cover. Anyone who has tried to work at home knows that it can be hard to find real positions that pay a decent amount of money. At first I worked part time at the company I was with before my son was born. They agreed to let me work around my husband's work hours. I was also finishing up my degree program at Kaplan. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Business with a focus on human resources. After a few months that situation was not working for me so I went with wah (work at home) jobs ever since. It has been a tough road. I've fallen for a few scams, but have picked myself up and soldiered on. I think in part because of my education I want to help others in their goals to work from home as well. So the Why I Wah blog idea was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment